Day 78: No Good, Very Bad Day

Some days just feel a little unlucky.  And days that start like that generate an odd phenomenon; I find I take all the little things and stack them into one big, long mental list and use them to justify a bad mood, a claim that today is a no-good, awful, very bad day, when all the things by themselves are not all that bad.

For example, Spartacus still has a cough. There's nothing else wrong with him - he's not running a fever, he's eating fine, and is his usual happy self, but I'm worried that the daycare is going to call and tell me he's too sick to stay, and I'll have to go through the hassle of getting a sub, if only for an hour, to go pick him up. I have a kind friend in town who retired from teaching and offered to watch him if he ever was sick, so I wouldn't have to take an expensive docked vacation day.  It's 9 AM and I haven't heard from the daycare, so I doubt I will, but it seems a rotten start to any day to hear a sick baby's cough.

On Friday, my printer in my classroom decided it was so low on toner it refused to print.  It is an OKI B410 laser printer, like the one in every classroom, and it has been flashing "low toner" since September.  Still, it has been printing fine, even up until Friday when it stopped printing in the middle of a job.  There is no blurred or light ink, no lines...I keep shaking up the cartridge to try to fake it out, but it has declared that the cartridge is empty, I am wrong, and won't print.  These cartridges are extremely expensive, and I hate needing another one when I know it has plenty of ink.  Any time this happens is inconvenient, but it feels like the week I need to print final exams is especially problematic.  I know I just need to walk my butt down to the supply room and get a new cartridge, but it seems like such a waste, and I'm adding to my list of reasons why today is ill-fated.

I got to second period for my conference, when I usual pump for baby Spartacus, and discover I left my pump's power cable sitting on the table at home.  This is annoying not because I can't pump the milk for him - I have at least 40 bags of milk frozen at home - but because it means I will be rather uncomfortable by 3:20 when school lets out.  Alas.  I will also be paranoid of leaking through my sweater by 8th period; knowing my high schoolers, someone will ask aloud if I spilled coffee or something, drawing attention to the issue...I guess I will adopt an angry demeanor and keep my arms folded over my chest if the need arises.

Finally, the apple I grabbed for my snack today was mealy and inedible.  Now I have to eat chocolate instead.  Sigh.

But it is the last week of school, the only thing on the agenda for my classes is a reading day, they will be testing the rest of the week, it is a beautiful sunny day, and this time next week I'll be home in Indiana, spending time with loved ones.  It's not so bad after all. 

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *