Day 91: Pay it forward

This year our school added a period to the school day, called "Academic Period."  It is 35 minutes long, and is the 4th period of the day, so students who have off periods at the beginning or end of the day still have a class. It is designed for students who have failed one of the state exams, to meet with teachers in that subject to work on test prep.  It is also for students who are in different academic competitions to work with the coaches.  For example, I coach the current events team, so most of my team members are on my academic period roster.

The other junior English teacher and I are also using it to start a twice-weekly SAT/ACT prep class for juniors.  We meet every Monday and Friday during fourth period until spring break.  The cost is $30 for two giant SAT and ACT workbooks that the kids get to keep.  I had a student who wanted to take the class, but she pulled me aside during academic period and told me she couldn't afford the $30 so please remove her name from the list.

The next day, one of my other AP students came up to me and said, "Mrs. H, I heard you talking to Stacy about not being able to afford the class. I have $30; I'd like to buy her books."

Sweetest thing EVER.  This wonderful girl gave me faith in my students' generation.  I of course couldn't take her money, but I was sure to email her parents to tell them what a wonderful kid they were raising.  Our principle has a "student spotlight" bulletin board, and I wish I was able to put her on display there to inspire others to her good example.  I can't (and she wouldn't want me to), so I'm writing it here, anonymously, to inspire anyone who reads it.

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *