Day 105: By the Numbers

My students' rough drafts of their research papers were supposed to be due Friday at midnight.  My plan was to read through them all this weekend and give comments, come back today to do the Works Cited page, and have them hand me the finished product in class on Friday.  Silly me, I can't grade AP's one-page essays over the weekend - what made me think I could grade 84 2500-word essays AND 48 1500-word English 3 essays?  No idea, but this is the email I sent my students today.  Seriously, being an English teacher sucks sometimes.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "ELIZABETH H"
Date: Feb 10, 2014 10:44 AM
Subject: Monday Update
To: AP English 3
Cc: 

By the numbers:

32 = the number of emails requesting extensions sent between 9 PM and 3 AM on Friday, most of which were for events that were already known about and therefore were not granted

46 = the number of students who had previously requested extensions for Saturday at midnight

7 = the number of papers I read on Saturday after returning from the academic meet

84 = the total number of AP papers I needed to read this weekend

168,000 + 504 = the approximate number of words and pages I thought I could read on Sunday afternoon between church and Downton Abbey [NOT counting my two English 3 classes, who were also due this weekend]

80,000 + 46 = the actual number of words and pages I got through yesterday

1:30 = the time your grades need to be entered for progress reports tomorrow and therefore my person deadline for having my own comments on your papers

Since I did not get everyone's papers looked at this weekend, your job for today will be to make your Works Cited page and add your in-text citations if you have not done so already.  Due to my negligence/sheer need to sleep, I found us space in the library computer lab this Thursday to finish up any last changes and to print your final drafts.  Your final drafts with all changes, revision, additions,  in-text citations, and works cited page will be due both shared and as hard copies by class on Friday.

Sincerely,

Mrs. H

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *