Day 25: Sleeping Saga

Friday night, Sparatcus slept from from 11 PM until 5:30 AM; he woke up briefly at 4 AM, but by the time I made it into the nursery he had already returned to sleep - 6.5 hours of sleep in a row.

Saturday night, I fed him at 5; he normally eats every 3-4 hours during the day now.  At 6:30 he looked like he was about to collapse, but I knew from the night before that if I let him "nap" at 6:30, he'd wake up around 9, want to eat, and then be wide awake for at least two hours; we might get him to bed by midnight. So I fed him again at  6:30, put him in his jammies, and and put him to bed at 7.  He woke  up at midnight, ate, and fell right back to sleep and slept until 5:30 - 10 hours of sleep, one interruption.

LAST NIGHT S fell asleep at 8:45.  At 5:15 AM this morning - when my husband's alarm went off - he woke up to eat.  8.5 uninterrupted hours of sleep at twelve weeks old.  SPARTACUS SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!  And by extension - I SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!

As this is my last week home before returning to teaching, it is SUCH a relief to feel like we're on the right track.  I know sleep deprivation is the plight of new parents everywhere, but I honestly have had days I don't feel safe to drive - and as I return to my 36-mile daily commute, I'd rather not drive like I partied too hard the night before.


This exciting new turn in the routine of Spartacus helps increase my anticipation of returning to work.

Nine reasons I'm pumped to get back to my classroom:


1. Last week I volunteered at a huge college fair at the Harvard table, answering questions from prospective students. Several of my current students came up and asked me when I'd be back; they seemed pleased when I told them in one week.  It's nice to know people are looking forward to my return.

2. I didn't know the names of 4 of these 5 students - I'd like to learn some names of the students whose grades are in my hands.

3. I think the increased routine will help everyone in the family - parents, baby, dog - function a little better. Also, I need to lose my last few baby pounds, which isn't easy since I spend most of my day vegging at home with a baby.  Currently, my most intensive calorie-burning activity is breastfeeding.  Next in line is walking to the kitchen to refill my water bottle (and probably grab a snack while I'm there).

4. Getting paid again will be nice too.

5. I won't have to send 12 emails back and forth every day to my sub; while I wouldn't trade my time at home, being on leave as a teacher with three different classes was way more work than I anticipated.  I've started to dread every time I get a text or email because I'm afraid it's something I didn't explain well enough or something went wrong at school.  When I return, that will all go away (the emails and texts that is...I'm sure things will still go wrong, or I'd have nothing to blog about).

6. I went to a hail & farewell dinner with my husband a few weeks ago, and discovered that I had nothing to talk about that didn't involve my son's bodily functions or sleep schedule.  I look forward to having adult conversation topics again.

7. I miss my coworkers; I look forward to having adult conversations with actual adults (Neither my baby nor my dog seem much interested in discussing a US military response to ISIS or care that the mid-term elections are coming up).

8. I showered yesterday and tried to comb my hair, only to find a rat's nest that I actually needed detangling spray to work loose (I haven't used detangling spray since I was in swim lessons in elementary school).  I realized I couldn't remember the last time I had combed my hair - I've been showing in the intervals during nap time and throwing the whole mess up uncombed in an elastic.  Going back to work will reinstate proper hygiene.

9. I spent an entire afternoon last week cleaning out my closet; I Goodwilled about half my wardrobe that I either won't ever fit in again or can't, in good conscience, wear in public.  Of the few cocktail dresses from college that I still love but will never have a use for again, I asked myself if Spartacus would be proud to see his mother wearing them; if the answer was no, then they went.  I made separate drawers for all my high school spirit t-shirts for Friday jeans days and college t-shirts for college day, so I won't have to go digging in the laundry for those anymore. And, of course, I rediscovered tons of work outfits I forgot I owned. I'm excited to look like a grown-up again.

Now, for the reasons I don't want to go back to work:

1. Every moment with this guy -


It's a 20-second video of him playing in the baby gym with the 49ers game in the background.  He loves the mirror on top.  I know he's not doing anything terribly exciting, but he's so fun to watch!

2. I'll have to wear pants again.
Pants are lame.


Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *