D-8: Opportunities and Blessings

It's FRIDAY!!  It has been a whirlwind last week in my professional life.  Lots of awesome things are starting to fall into place that I would like to share.

First: Several weeks ago, I spoke with the principal at my alma mater, a Lutheran high school in Indiana.  Their junior English teacher was contemplating taking a call to another state, and he wanted to discuss my qualifications and see if I was interested in the position.  I was absolutely interested; I had an awesome experience there as a student, and strongly believe I and Hubster, also an alum, are who we are today because of this school.  It would be an honor to teach there, and I was thrilled for the possibility.  Plus, one of my good friends (she was a bridesmaid in my wedding) also teaches there, so that would be fun too.

Last week: I hadn't heard back yet on whether the teacher was going to take the call, but I did get an email from a principal at a K-8 Lutheran school in town.  It's a smallish rural school, one my younger brother attended, and I had worked at their day camp several summers in high school.  They were looking for a 6-7-8th grade reading and literature teacher.  I did a phone interview with their call committee last Thursday, and it went very well, I thought.  I preferred a high school position because that is what I know, but the possibility of teaching middle school, and multiple grades at that, intrigued me.  I ended up not getting selected, but the experience was very positive and gave me confidence in my job hunt.

Tuesday: I at last heard back from the principal at my alma mater; the English teacher decided to take the call, and they wanted to interview me.  Part of their interview process is an on-campus meeting with the head of curriculum and the department head (my former AP English teacher), a tour, and a sample lesson taught to one of their junior classes.  They offered to reimburse travel costs.  I looked at flights and am heading up next week for my interview. I'm very excited.  And nervous.
Eight years after leaving...I'm coming home.  High school graduation 2007


Thursday: I started to lose my voice (this usually happens at least once a year; this year it was twice). On my way driving to school an Indian number called, so in my near-death craigy "hello?" voice I answered. It was a family friend who is an administrator at one of the best public school districts in my town.  She told me that she gave the principal my resume and he was waiting on my application. The school is on the growing north end of town, and one of the most desirable public high schools in the area.

She also told me about her brother, who is a missionary. He owns a house near the seminary where my husband is going.  Since he's often out of the country, he allows seminary families to "house-sit" (the neighborhood policy forbids renters) and live there, just paying utilities. She asked if that was an opportunity my family would be interested in.  I assured her that - absolutely - would we be interested! We'd love to explore that possibility!

Friday: One of the downsides of a whirlwind trip to Indiana in the middle of the week is having to take time off of work; I don't have any vacation days remaining because I used them all on maternity leave, so I get docked the daily rate of $192 for each day I take off.  I was explaining my exciting school prospects to one of our teachers this morning, and she offered to give me one of her vacation days (at a cheaper rate) so I could travel to my interview.

Bonus: I'll be flying into town on my brother's birthday. I haven't spent a birthday with him in...goodness, probably 2007.  So this will be nice.

No matter what opportunities fall into place - I would be thrilled to work at either of these schools - I finally feel excitement for the next few months, as opposed to the stressful limbo Hubster and I have been experiencing the last few months.


Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *