Guest Blog: How to Foster a Cat

I love learning, and sometimes I come across something that I know very little about, but want to know more -- so I find someone who does it and ask them! Today's guest post is from a friend of mine named Lauren who writes about fostering kittens! I asked her about it and she agreed to share the process. I'm allergic so it's not something I'll be doing anytime soon, but it is such a cool service and she gets great pleasure from it. Enjoy her post!


Fostering animals is a great way for the shelters to make space for more animals and give attention to the ones that need it most. By fostering animals out, it ensures that the animals get more human interaction and attention that they might not get in a crowded shelter and clears space to help even more animals. Please know that it takes a lot of time and effort (and headaches) so only do it if you have the time and energy. If you have restrictions on what you can foster, the shelter will work with you! There are always unique situations and the shelter can use any and all types of fosters.
The shelter fosters out dogs as well but since I already have cats it is what I feel the most comfortable doing. How the process works with the ACSPCA (Allen County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is you can walk in and are required to fill out paperwork.
It is simple paperwork asking if you have other animals, your housing situation and what your availability is for fostering. If you have other animals you are required to prove they are up to date on vaccines and are healthy animals. If you rent an apartment you have to prove that you are allowed to have animals in the building or have paid a fee to do so. Lastly, your availability. Do you want dogs or cats? Can you take a mother cat/dog with the kittens/puppies or only kittens/puppies? Are you able to take care of sick or injured cats or dogs?

It is very similar paperwork required if you are interested in adopting. Their goal is to find forever homes for every animal and not see any returned. My situation is a little tricky because I already have cats. I opted only to take kittens because my own would have an issue with older cats.
I’ve been SUPER nervous to foster but went in to fill out the paperwork and at least start the process. I spent time filling out the paperwork, was “interviewed” (very loose term) and they let me know that they would have a couple kittens the next week if I was able. I agreed! Then I decided to walk around the shelter, because CATS. I was just about to adopt one too many when they came back out and asked me if I could stick around and take four home with me. A family had just stopped in and dropped off a litter.
I mentally told myself, “Welp, this is what you signed up for!” several times, still nervous and uneasy. 
The ladies let me into the back to see them while they got shots and blood-work done… THEY WERE SO CUTE. Is there really saying no when asked if I can take home a pile of kittens?? 
It is also important to note that the shelter will provide everything to you -- they gave me a crate to keep the kittens in while I’m not home, kitten food, boxes for litter, and a phone number to call/text if I ever have any questions (I already had a carrier in my car because I was secretly hoping to leave with a pile). Once I was home I rushed around to get a room set up for them to stay in because I didn’t want them mixed in with my cats right away. 
I’m a few days in and things are going good! I had potty training issues with one and another that was cranky and hissy, but all problems have been solved. I started out by leaving them in the crate (while they figured out potty training), then they got antsy so I shut the door and let them run around the room while I’m not there. Now they are allowed to run throughout the house when I’m home. So far so good! 
 
Laundry baskets are fun!
The kittens are roughly 5-6 weeks old. Usually kittens aren’t adoptable until around 2 months old. Once they are 2lbs, a weight requirement, they will be neutered and put up for adoption. I have an appointment with the shelter two weeks after picking them up to weigh and check up on them. With how much they’ve been eating I’m sure they’ll reach it! 

Because I’ve been fostering, I have first dibs if I want to adopt any (which is a definite YES, if I could keep them all I totally would) and then any immediate friends and family that reach out saying they’d like one as well. Animals who aren't already spoken for go to the shelter for the public to adopt. 
*FRIENDLY REMINDER* All cats/kittens at ACSPCA is a name your own fee! ;) Please consider adopting! The love and joy animals provide is priceless. And because CATS (or dogs if you’re one of those kind of people).

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *