Day 53: First Day of School, part 9

Students will be able to demonstrate familiarity with revising and editing techniques and literary analysis on the common assessment.

Good news: I got five new desks! My old broken ones were magically replaced with new, clean, tall desks - so tall that students' feet barely touch the floor, making it very difficult to slouch or sleep. Yay!

Bad news: they took my stool away with my desks.

Worse: I am short two desks.

I hear horror stories of classrooms where they have 40 students crammed in, where students sit on the floor, or crowd along the back walls. I have not reached that point yet, but even with my few new desks I don't have enough space! I inherited two new students today, who both (conveniently) joined my largest and rowdiest two class periods.  It's hard enough to be a new student, but it's so much worse when you get dropped into the class that contains an extraordinarily high proportion of SPED kids and male athletes.  It didn't help that I didn't have anywhere for her to sit, we were taking a test so the room was silent and easily distractable, and my new student was incredibly shy.  Bad combination.  I forget sometimes how difficult high school can be, but was reminded today by her embarrassed face and decision that she already hated it at this new school.  Hopefully tomorrow will be more successful!

I say "Part Nine", because I think these are the eighth and ninth new students I've had since the beginning of the year.  I've lost two overall, but my net count keeps getting higher. Crazy!

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *