Day 55: It's Okay to Stare

Students will be able to identify steps in the writing of personal poetry, according to a guest speaker.

No teaching today, thanks to a guest speaker by the name of JP Fugler.  He's a high school speech and debate coach from Texas who shared several original pieces of slam poetry with students, as well as a bit about his personal journey from a little kid battling Tourettes who'd been told he'd never amount to anything to a self-assured high school teacher imparting humor and wisdom to his students.  He's published two books in his 24 years (I'm almost 24 - what's my excuse?!) and gave his presentation seven times today to every English class in the school.  The kids enjoyed his stories, from using his words as weapons to tattle on his older sister for something she didn't do ("But who'd my parents believe? Me, the good kid.") to nervous nine-year-old JP flipping off an entire gymnasium of Christian parents during a basketball tournament.  Since no work was required of them, students were extra easy to please today.  I know of at least one student who was interested enough in the presentation to borrow my newly autographed copy of one of his poetry books.

http://www.amazon.com/Its-OK-Stare-JP-Fugler/dp/1604412062

It was nice to hide in the back and grade papers before grades have to be in by 1:30 tomorrow afternoon.  There are still eight or nine names on the board of students who haven't turned in research papers yet.  I pulled one aside today and said, "James, you didn't turn in a final of your research paper. You're failing my class."  He looked so clueless, thought about it, and said, "That means I can't play basketball...is there anything I can do to pass your class?" "Yes, turn in your research paper." "Oh."  OY.  Thanksgiving break is next week...so close!  I love my kids...I love my kids...I love my kids. :)

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *