Day 178: The End


Last year I had the students turn in their final projects the week before exams, so we had literally nothing to accomplish the last four days of school or during exam time.  This year, I had everything due the day of each class’s exam, which means I’m here at 5:15 when the kids left at 11:30, grading these projects I assigned, before I go help with graduation in an hour.

Their projects included the following components:

  1. Submitted in a report cover or binder
  2. Title page
  3. Table of Contents
  4. Completed common application for college OR application to a college you plan to apply to
  5. 2 Common Application Essays
  6. Resume
  7. Fastweb.com profile confirmation (or other scholarship site)
  8. Scholarship list of five scholarships
  9. 1-minute video mock interview with 1-page personal analysis
  10. Online presence analysis
  11. Request letter for a letter of recommendation to a specific person
  12. Choose 2 additional inclusions of your choice from the following list:
    1. Copy of your SAT or ACT scores
    2. Letter of recommendation for a peer
    3. Recent photo
    4. Example of work (a piece of art, an audition CD, sports statistics, writing sample, etc.)
    5. News clipping about something you have done
    6. Copy of an award you have received
    7. Brochure from college of your choice
    8. Application to one of the scholarships on your list in #8

With the exception of a few special snowflakes, they did a really fantastic job on this project.  I wish I had assigned it much earlier in the year - I’ve learned more about them in the last four hours than in the last nine months.  I’m focusing my grading on their college application essays, which they will use in the fall when they apply as seniors.  I have learned that I have three Eagle Scouts and one in progress (I didn’t know about any of them).  One girl grew up with a terrible lisp and years of speech therapy, only to have it corrected by an orthodontist who knew his way around crooked jaws. Another spent every weekend for six months caring for her grandmother in hospice.  Many students wrote about being abandoned by parents, or working towards an award, or the stress of being a military child, or growing up in poverty.  They described interactions with atheist coworkers, temperamental horses, dying parents, and bullying peers.  Many wrote their request for recommendations to me and other teachers, and it is touching to read how much they feel these adults have influenced them positively.  It’s been a very humbling afternoon, and so nice to end on a high note.

Fifth period asked if, before they left for the summer, they could rub 32-week-pregnant belly.  I was naturally hesitant, because that was weird. One boy told me I should sell tickets for it.  I explained that that would be mild prostitution ("Give me money and you c
an touch me!").  Amazing as my students are, I’m happy for the three (well, four-and-a-half with maternity leave) break from them.

Comments

  1. Lizzy, You are so funny and such a great teacher! Mild prostitution, hahaha! Can't wait to find a way to visit you and the fam when I get back! Hang in there, I'm sure 3rd trimester pregnancies in TX are hot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *