-55 class periods: THE AP TEST and a phone upgrade

We have NEARLY made it to the end of the school year!  Only seven class days and three days of final exams left until my Year 5 of teaching is in the books.  For an explanation of this poster, read this post!

I am excited for the end of the school year; I can clean my classroom, spend more time with my kiddos, and work on reformatting my classes for our shift to block scheduling next year.  I'm also excited to leave this view behind for a bit:
A pump photo I took my first week back to work
How do I have time to blog, you ask? Why, my AP babies are taking their Advanced Placement English Language and Composition exam at this exact moment.  This leaves me with most of my morning kid-free.
My attendance with all my students "absent" at their test


Last year my AP kids had significant issues with students and adults walking into their testing rooms during the exam.  My test is the biggest with 78 students enrolled, so they are spread between the auditorium and two different testing rooms.  Last year there were no signs and no one told the study hall teacher and students we were in the auditorium, so every period random kids would wander in - this is BAD BAD BAD.  So this year, I had my kids proactively made a bunch of signs to post around their testing sites.  The caveat: they had to use rhetorical devices we learned for the test.  The results are awesome:

Satire

Winner: Antimetabole, Rhetorical question, and onomatopoeia

Wit

Zeugma (using one word both figuratively and literally)

Alliteration and hortative sentence

Allusion (and a typo)

Syllogism (almost...)

Aphorism

Assonance

Cumulative sentence and hortative sentence
Caricature (and a re-purposed self portrait from art class)


 For a full slideshow of all their posters check below or click here:


Unrelated - 
I was proud to tell my students I got my first-ever iPhone this week.  My phone died over the weekend (conveniently in the middle of my brother's wedding weekend, just when I needed to be in contact with LOTS of people for logistics). I've actually gone four whole days without a phone - and survived!  We use Virgin Mobile no-contract plans, where we buy our phones outright when we need one. They had iPhone 5Ss for sale for $99, so I was excited to jump on that.  However, I spent my free periods this morning when I was SUPPOSED to be grading my kids' make up work playing with my new iPhone instead.  I told my freshmen who immediately offered lots of helpful advice.  I use Apple products for every other device in my life, so I didn't really need the assistance, but they wanted to feel needed :) 

It seems kind of hit-or-miss which contacts transferred, so if you're someone who might regularly text me, please do so again with your name so I can confirm your info! 

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *