Day 44: Gamer Tags

Students will be able to summarize and paraphrase facts found during research onto note cards.
Students will be able to identify character motives in Act I, Scene 2.

With election day less than two weeks away, I told my kids how I had voted absentee early in my home state.  Because my state is a potential swing state, I explained how my vote might "count" more there than it does in my current southern location where, let's face it, they've practically never elected a Democrat. To anything. Ever.  However, I would not tell them who I voted for; they decided this must be because I voted for Obama. If I voted for Romney, I wouldn't be "ashamed" to say it.  Their logic is so funny sometimes.

Yesterday I had to break up a brief conversation between two boys occurring rudely during class time. When I inquired as to what they were discussing, one boy looked at me and said, "Mrs. H, I'm trying to sell my Xbox. Would you like to buy it?"  I told him I already had an Xbox, thanks.  They then wanted to know my gamer tag.  Now, my primary game on our Xbox is the Sims, so I'm not exactly an Xbox live kind of girl, but I thought it was pretty funny they wanted it.  I know it's school policy to discourage Facebook friending with students; I'm sure Xbox gaming is an unspoken addendum to that policy.

I wrapped up today by telling fourth period they will have a quiz on Tuesday over the vocab words they copied down yesterday, only to find fifth period that I had collected said vocab sheets so they couldn't study.  Of course, none of them pointed this out, so I could still have the quiz anyway, but I feel guilty for taking away the study material.  I created a flashcard set on Quizlet, so hopefully a few of them will use them to study.

I got one of my students out of detention to sit in my room and design a resume for him - he'd never had one before, but wanted to apply to a new gas station in town being built.  I figured for a sophomore, it would be much more impressive rolling in with a resume with his application, even if there wasn't much to put on it.  I think even he was impressed with himself in print.

As crazy as this week was, I am pleased. So pleased I'm coming back to school tomorrow to help judge a speech meet!




Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *