Day 40: Sub Day

Students will be able to synthesize research into a typed, formatted 3-4 page research paper.

Monday was my first day with a sub, and I was a little nervous.  I had family in town for the weekend and decided to spend an extra day with them and exercise my privilege of leaving my class with a babysitter for a day.  I have learned a rule while babysitting -  the mom always details which kid will be the "tough" kid and which will be the "easy" one in terms of meals, bedtime, baths, etc, and it is always - ALWAYS - the other way around.  While I know that I can always give John a cup of hot chocolate if he is fussy before bed, I don't have the foggiest idea what to do with Connie - she was supposed to go right to sleep!  Well, as I left my classes with their babysitter, the rule still applied.  The "hard" class went smoothly while the "easy" class screwed up.

My first three periods, having successfully assassinated Julius Caesar on Friday, got to watch the Marlon Brando film all period.  My last three periods were due to start typing their rough drafts.  They knew this was the plan for at least two weeks, and I told the sub that if anyone acted like they didn't know what they were doing, they were lying like a penny in the parking lot.  I even assigned a "helper" student in each class, one the sub could ask if she had questions.  Upon arriving this morning, I read positive notes on five of my six classes, but the sub wrote for one of my periods that "90% of class didn't know what was going on".  I was extremely upset at this note.  Those kids are so full of crap - they knew exactly what was going on.  I had the research paper due Wednesday initially, and most finished today, but for the few who were struggling I gave them until Friday to finish.  This naughty class will not get that privilege. Their paper is due TOMORROW by 4:30 PM.  No excuses.  If they failed to use their time wisely and misbehaved for the sub, then they will possibly fail their research paper as well.  It's a pity, but I don't really care that they have to do extra work.  I thought they could handle the responsibility of being with a sub, but they couldn't.  I was so mad I considered bringing cookies for all the other classes but them.  They don't deserve cookies.

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *