Day 164: AP and Teenage Rants

This week students took their world history and their geometry exams, and spent extra time in the computer lab working on their websites.  Friday, I couldn't get lab time and kind of wanted the day off, so we had a discussion day in class. First, I shared with my students my exciting news: I got asked to teach AP English Language and Composition next year.  I'll have several junior AP classes and a few regular English 3 classes, so I'll have many of my students again.  I am thrilled for the extra challenge of teaching two different courses, and psyched to have many of my kiddos again.  As the year comes to a close, we all get very nostalgic, so some are actually pleased they'll have me again.  Several students who I have been trying desperately to convince to take AP requested schedule changes after they found out I was teaching it.  Our current junior AP teacher is taking a different position at the high school, so I'll thankfully still have her as a resource next year.  I'm all signed up for the AP summer institute, which I've heard is a blast.  I've also heard AP students actually read when you ask them.  After this year, this seems like an impossible idea.  However, I also plan to raise the bar on my grade level kids too; none of this one-book-a-year thing like this year.  Heck, if I can't handle two preps, I'll just teach my regular kids the same lesson as my AP kids.  That will raise the bar...

One of my students emailed me two videos that recently went viral that he really wanted to talk about in class.  The first is a student from Duncanville, TX, who, upon getting kicked out of his sophomore world history class, went on a rant to the teacher about why she needs to actually teach, not just pass out packets. Unfortunately, it struck a chord with a lot of students, and they admired the kid for it:



The second video is a local news station interviewing the student. The young man referenced the state standardized tests, but also focused on why education is important to him:

Although the method by which the young man went off was rather inappropriate - it's frowned upon to lecture a teacher in front of students - I echo his and my students' frustration with teachers who do not "teach."  The particular lady in the cell phone video didn't even get up from her desk.  I know there are plenty of teachers out there who do the packet teach method, but that is not my style at all - and I can't think of a single one of my students who learn that way.  After spending the last several weeks with them emphasizing the importance of resumes, going beyond expectations, and challenging themselves to get ahead, they're starting to see education as a tool for success...unfortunately for many of them, they feel it's a tool over which they don't have control.  I asked one of my girls who really enjoyed our history lessons if she was interested in taking AP US History next year (by far one of my favorite classes in high school).  Her answer was heartbreaking: "I'd love to, but I don't think I learned anything from history the last few years.  I don't think I'd prepared.  I'm sure I'd fail."  She had already set herself up to fail in her head, not because of any excuses of her own of laziness or stupidity, but because she felt her former education hadn't adequately prepared her for the challenge of AP.  If she feels like her previous coursework didn't prepare her for another high school class, I can't imagine she'll ever feel prepared to take on college.  I wanted to wrap her in a big bear hug and tell her it'll be hard, but if she pushes herself, she can do it.  However, given that this young lady is a softball player and raises pigs in her free time, I don't know if she's the big bear hug type...

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *