Day 78: Competitive Quizlet

Students will be able to identify differences between expository, literary, and persuasive essays.

Today was a good day.  I was reminded to make sure I wrote about it to remind myself that I DO have good days - and I feel like I've come over a really steep hill.  Today and tomorrow are review; Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are test days in the morning, movies in the afternoon, and then glorious Christmas break before a new start in January.  I feel the sun coming out already!  I will finish this year!!

After completing iPad training on Friday, we had the iPad cart in my classroom and I issued them to students as they finished bell work.  They worked with the Quizlet app, studying vocabulary in preparation for their final exam. They loved it - I've never seen so many kids engaged in the activity. The really quiet ones were the surprising ones.  One of the games times them, and I wrote on the board who had the leading time to beat.  This sense of competition really got them going - and I hadn't even promised a reward, they just wanted to beat each other.  I was very impressed, and ideally they learned the material better as well.  They had no problem taking up the entire period just on Quizlet. It was awesome.  Those who didn't pay attention right away stumbled onto the French vocabulary flashcard set, and I enjoyed listening to them attempt to pronounce French foods.  Since French is not offered at my school, they got very excited to listen to the pronunciation and then repeat.  Perhaps I'll study up my rusty college French and see if I could teach that in the next few years - it's good to have goals.  Plus, hearing bread ("du pain") pronounced "payn" instead of "puh" was painful.

One of my young men at the end of the day entered the classroom and announced, "I have a Christmas present for you, Mrs. H!"  This declaration was in itself surprising - as a high school teacher I certainly don't expect presents, and definitely not from his football playing self.  With great flourish, he handed me...a copy of my Julius Caesar script from two months ago.  Apparently he had been carrying it around in his bag, most likely stolen along with my toga (yes, he was one of the toga-snatchers...).  It's so funny to me that so many students can't keep track of a pencil for more than a day, but he managed to hang onto a script from weeks ago.  While I certainly didn't need it back - it was just a photocopy and badly beaten up - his desire to return it was sweet and brightened my day.  Such a good day, and a Monday at that.

Try the Scatter game and see if you can beat my kids' high scores...

High score: 15.5 seconds

High score: 4.5 seconds

High score: 1.2 seconds (keep in mind, it looks a little different on the mobile app)

Comments

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *