Day 11: It's not Friday...yet

I love my job.  I do -- I love my mini-adults, I love when I get right answers from them, I love when they willingly sign up to retake the quiz they all failed.  And yet, I got to the end of today and thought, "Is it Friday yet?"  Why is that? 

It could have possibly been caused by the completely stupid high-heeled sandals I thought were a good decision but instead cleaned my desk drawer out of band-aids. 

In order to get through my novel in the first six weeks and do something in class other than read, I need to skip some stuff.  Today I announced we would be reading chapter 9, and a few people realized we hadn't read chapter 8.  I told them we didn't have time, its contents weren't super crucial, it wasn't in the movie, and they could read it on their own. 

To my surprise, they were upset.  It's total reverse psychology - when I tell them they have to read something they don't want to, but when I keep it from them they're desperate.  So. Bizarre. 

Anyway, I told them Miss Maudie's house burned down and they make a black snowman (their "morphodite," whatever that is), and they got excited.  Sigh. 

Unrelated to this incident, my mom emailed me this comic today. It made me feel a little better, if maybe some student out there feels this way about me.

Stein, Ed. "Freshly Squeezed." Sept. 8, 2012.
Anyway, we attempted to plow through chapter 9 (in which lame cousin Francis says really nasty things to Scout and she beats him up - I'm waiting for one of them to say "Scout beating kids up" is a literary theme).  We didn't get all the way through, which puts us another 15 minutes behind for the week, but hey, we'll figure that out too. Sometime between now and Friday. Because I did learn today, it's not Friday yet :)


Comments

  1. Morphodite = hermaphrodite, most likely. C'mon, Harvard. : P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *