Day 24: SWBAT HIMYM

Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of state-approved standards on the common assessment, including writing conventions.

OR

Students will be able to stop being sad and be awesome instead.

My classroom contains two windows, one wall of cabinets which my students use to store their binderrs, one small square bulletin board, and a long whiteboard.  Right in the middle of the whiteboard is my intelligently-installed permanent Smartboard.  I have about 18 inches on either side of my Smartboard that is writable whiteboard space.  On the left side I have my agenda for the day - easy, since I only teach one course six times.  Other teachers will more courses definitely need more space.  On the right hand side I have my assignments (which I usually reserve for spelling words, since we almost never have assignments) and the SWBAT - "Students will be able to".  I learned the acronym at my student teaching school - they pronounced it "SWA-bat", but apparently that acronym is limited to that school; I got the funniest looks the first time I used it to another teacher here.  Anyway, I write the SWBAT on the board every day as well, in hopes of actually achieving the day's objectives during the course of class.  It often doesn't happen, but that's what we're shooting for. Anyway, I had forgotten to update my SWBAT yesterday for testing, so the space was blank.  My beloved hubster of one year finally made it to school to see my classroom, and while I wasn't looking wrote the objective you see above: "SWBAT stop being sad and be awesome instead."

For the How I Met Your Mother fans out there (or HIMYM, as my college friends called it - we liked acronyms), this is one of Barney Stinson's favorite lines.  I painted it on canvas for my husband for his birthday, and it hangs in his mancave (also known as the third bedroom while we are still young and childless).  Anyway, this was apparently the objective today, and it did, I think, get accomplished.  Most students finished a rather dreadful two days of standardized tests filled with bizarre writing prompts unrelated to TKaM, the only thing I've been filling their heads with the last five weeks.  Afterwards, they rocked the study guide I had made for them in preparation for the unit exam next week.  They all said it was "really easy, Mrs. H", but in reality I think they surprised themselves by actually knowing the material that was asked on the study guide.  I had planned on taking Monday and part of Tuesday next week to work on it, but that might not be necessary, so awesome are my tenth graders.  Or just desperate to not do any more bubbling test answers.  Either way, I think they're awesome.  And no longer sad, because it's Friday, Friday!

I had this grand plan of playing some Friday-related song or video at the end of every week, but that ended after week one.  I tried to play Rebecca Black's Friday video on the Friday of the first week of school, but I got more negative reactions than when I told them the next time they wrote "cuz" instead of "because" on a paper, I'd blow up the mistake on the copy machine and hang it on the newly created Wall of Shame outside my classroom (there are currently two papers up there).  So anyway, no more "cuz"ing and no more Rebecca Black.  The year may turn out okay yet.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Comments

  1. I just wanted to drop you a comment to let you know that I love reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Contact Lizzy

Name

Email *

Message *